Empathy, Empathic Concern, Sympathy, Compassion 1

Sorry this entry is a bit long...

Empathy, from the Greek word ἐμπάθεια (empatheia); "physical affection, passion, partiality" -->from ἐν (en), "in, at" + πάθος (pathos), "feeling".

I have been thinking of the result of the empathy test these few days. After my second attempt(fri morning), the score is now 3. (an increase of 8 marks :P) Though the result maybe a bit far from reality (the Merry you see), I think it's still some kind of a benchmark.

Here are a few definitions of empathy from wiki which gave me some insights:

Carl Rogers: To perceive the internal frame of reference of another with accuracy and with the emotional components and meanings which pertain thereto as if one were the person, but without ever losing the "as if" condition. Thus, it means to sense the hurt or the pleasure of another as he senses it and to perceive the causes thereof as he perceives them, but without ever losing the recognition that it is as if I were hurt or pleased and so forth.

Jean Decety: A sense of similarity in feelings experienced by the self and the other, without confusion between the two individuals.

Nancy Eisenberg: An affective response that stems from the apprehension or comprehension of another’s emotional state or condition, and that is similar to what the other person is feeling or would be expected to feel.

To feel and interact like a 'normal human being' has always been a tough and unnatural process for me. 
Suffering emotional problems and stages similar to Alexithymia (state of deficiency in identifying, understanding, processing, or describing emotions) as I grew up, I am impaired and handicapped in a way. Capable to understand others' feelings or emotions, but unable to resonant with others' feelings or emotions. Usually, I am only a medium for others' to ease their pain or relieve their sorrows. During the process,I don't exist; only you exist. No distinguishable self and others. Never ''as if I were you...''.  If there's any ''as if I...'', the most probable result is 'no similar entries (feelings)  found', not to say emotions at all.

留言

熱門文章